Sunday, July 11, 2010

The little chocolate shop that could

A little over a year ago I was explainging to yet another person, why, 5 years ago, I built my 1200 sq. foot chocolate company 3 miles out of the Town of Telluride. Why aren't you in town! Absorbedent rents and 5 months of off season to start. And then, there's those 2 other chocolate companies who went out of business in less than a year trying to make it in town. But, this time a little voice inside said ... I wonder if that's still true.

Due to the economic down turn, certain closed doors are swinging open. I wondered if this was one of them. A few hours later I was checking the classifieds and making calls. Within 4 days, I had seen a space that was, well, almost perfect for just a little chocolate retail shop. I've lived in this town for 17 years and, even though this space is just off main street - on the strongest block, I had never known it was there. For over 10 years, it had been the home of a silk screen t-shirt manufacturer. He used it as a factory - no retail. Not many people even knew it was there.

Still thinking this was a wild idea with no chance of materializing I began meetings with the landlord and step by step laying out a lease that would work for me. Because you see, I am skitish when it comes to risk - so I drafted a lease that kept me safe if it didn't go well. And by golly, they went for it because the lease also gave them a very good outcome if I was successful. They were willing to gamble and.... I signed a lease.

Next - I had to turn this absolutely run down, filthy, 300 sq. foot space into a chocolate shop good enough to be called Telluride Truffle.

Oh - it was a mess with great possibilities. High 13 foot mismatched walls topped with a beautiful historic tin top ceiling. Original carved woodwork hidden by draping and layers of ugly grey paint. A filthy, cheap wall to wall carpet covering who knew what sort of floor. A sad little light crookedly hanging from the center of the room. I had to make this little space into a jewel of a chocolate shop. And I only had .... 30 days.

I have to hand it to prayer, Ebay, a plumber that did not give up, a clever carpenter who just kept figuring out how to do it cheaper. And an angel of a faux painter named Eli.

We did open 30 days later and it is everything that I needed it to be. It has a great feel to it. Many people comment they feel they are in Europe as they walk into the door. Even Europeans!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

We visited Telluride on Sunday and your little chocolate shop was one of only three shops that were open. I'm so glad we found you. I'm pregnant and have to really limit my sugar intake at the moment, so I only got your Timberline truffle. I'm still dreaming about it, and will for a very long time. My husband helped himself to several other flavors. As soon as I pop this baby out, I'm coming back for more!

And I really love reading about how you got started and how well you're doing with your business! Congratulations on making such a phenomenally awesome product!

Unknown said...

My husband, brother, nephew and I visited your shop a few days ago (we are all from California). There was a line out the door. We were in a bit of a time crunch, so couldn't wait. Rats! I'd been drooling all day thinking of those truffles! I couldn't stop thinking about them, so yesterday, the hubby and I trekked back over to Telluride for the sole purpose of being the first customers in the shop when it opened. Success! HEAVEN... We are leaving CO tomorrow (waaaaaaah) but will return next year, and of course, Telluride Truffle will be high on our list. Thank you! Please, please, please be there when we return.